Air Contactors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Murph095

Murph095

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Program Manager for Phase Solutions. We offer solutions to Power Quality problems.

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

I am trying to find some information out concerning air contactors. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.

#2 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

First you need to define your voltage range. Medium voltage air contactors are a completely different animal from low voltage contactors. After that, every contactor manufacturer has technical data on their contactors in their catalogs. If you are talking about low voltage then you need to define the size range you will be using. There are a plethora (word of the day) of contactor manufacturers who make up to 100A contactors, but the higher you go, the fewer there are. Post what you are looking for an we can help to narrow the field for you.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

#3 Murph095

Murph095

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Program Manager for Phase Solutions. We offer solutions to Power Quality problems.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

I work for a company that provides voltage sag protection and motor ride through capability solutions for any 3 phase AC induction motors. I visited with a large potential customer last week and they stated that had old AC air break type contactors. they stated that their closing time is very inconsistent because of this. I believe they run everything off of 4160V. I was just trying to find some information concerning the operation of these contactors. Thanks

Mike

#4 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

That is going to be tough. The vast majority of users have switched over to using Vacuum Contactors for MV loads because they solve a lot of problems. A quick search of my sources shows that nobody seems to have operating specs on air contactors readily available any more since they are sold primarily as retrofit devices for existing equipment now.

You might try contacting some of the specialty companies that make retrofit kits for replacing air break with vacuum contactor modules in old switchgear, they may have some comparison numbers in their sales literature. Sorry, I can't think of the names any more, I got out of that business 10 years ago.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

#5 Murph095

Murph095

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thats what i was thinking also. The facilities engineer told me they are using a combo of air and vacuum contactors and that all of them are vintage 1960's. Some in good maintained shape others not so. I was just checking to see if I could find some info on these here. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Murph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users