#1 rahul9355

rahul9355

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:32 AM

Hi,
I am very much curious about why not?

Many people talk about difference of density and price of the Aluminium and Copper.

Only conductivity of aluminium is 62 %IACS whereas Copper has 101%IACS.Also some mechanical as well as thermal advantages with copper.

But still with increased cross section of Aluminium you can save lot of money but people are not doing that and why?

Are there any hidden problems?

If I am using 10x80 Copper for 1250 A normal current and 25 kA Short circuit at 12 kV and if I want to use aluminium for the same what size I shall look for?

Thanks

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hello rahul9355

Welcome to the forum

Yes, you can use aluminium as a busbar material and it is certainly done. I have used busbars made out of aluminium for years without problems, but there are potential issues with the termination and the same way that there are issues with terminating aluminium cable.

The problem is that Aluminium is very active and quicly forms an insulating oxide layer on it's surface. This adds resistance to the joint resulting in heat tec. Additionally, if you have copper and aluminium in contact, you will get an interaction and problems.

If you are terminating to aluminimu, you must first scrub the oxicde off the surface and coat the joint surface with a jointing grease to prevent the air from getting to the surface. If you do not coat the surface within 30- seconds, the oxide layer will have formed enough to cause a problem.

Well tinned copper can be jointed to aluminium, but there are special jointing thimbles and components to help in this regard.

Best regards,

#3 rahul9355

rahul9355

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:50 AM

How about cold weld?You can weld copper and aluminium?
So terminals can be still of copper where majiority will be aluminium.

lso how mucs Cross section you increased with success.

Thanks

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:55 AM

hi mark,
can i get some information regarding Energy efficient induction motors the latest innovations? plz

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

Just mentioning this for interests sake.
Schnieder electric use an aluminium busbar system in prisma p, which has one face which has a rough bonded copper surface the rest of the bar appears to be anodised or coated., its very cool and very light.

Another thing I have seen is used by Banyard from the UK, who make induction heaters. They have a busbar which has an aluminium core and copper on the outside, I believe it is extruded that way and hence has no chance of oxidisation once produced.

#6 mariomaggi

mariomaggi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:electric vehicles http://www.evlist.it , 3-phase AC sources to test PV inverters, high-power AC/DC power supplies up to 1500 VDC to test photovoltaic inverters, bidirectional AC/DC power supplies to test and simulate big batteries, infrared windows for thermography, renewable energies, special electric motors, special inverters, energy savings, power quality

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi,
They have a busbar which has an aluminium core and copper on the outside

I don't agree with such solution. At the end of product lifecycle it is costly to separate copper from aluminium for recycling.
For some high-temperature applications, aluminium busbars could be Alumite-coated (this is an hard-anodizing process) to improve natural cooling by infrared emissivity. On joints Alumite coating must be removed by tools.

Regards
Mario

Mario Maggi - Italy - http://www.evlist.ithttps://www.axu.it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users