Photo

Converting "normal" induction motor to "inverter grade" induction motor by rewinding.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Tua

Tua

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hello Marke!
Thank you.
I think like that. smile.gif

#22 Tua

Tua

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hello Marke!
I have finded next information, how I think for this topic:
[attachmentid=27]
I want to say that this motor cann't be used with a control from a driver, see the red circle below of picture.
Please, correct me if I am not right.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.GIF   68.77KB   59 downloads

#23 mariomaggi

mariomaggi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:electric vehicles http://www.evlist.it , 3-phase AC sources to test PV inverters, high-power AC/DC power supplies up to 1500 VDC to test photovoltaic inverters, bidirectional AC/DC power supplies to test and simulate big batteries, infrared windows for thermography, renewable energies, special electric motors, special inverters, energy savings, power quality

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

Dear Tua,
PAY ATTENTION!

On think is to discuss about possible damages on standard motors used with inverters, another think is to risk an explosion!

This is the first time that you mention "explosion-proof" in your post.
The note in Baldor's specification is absolutely right. You cannot use an explosion-proof motor (with certificate at a certain frequency and voltage) with other voltages and frequencies. You will be responsible if a disaster will appear!

Technically, there are solutions, but these solutions must be certificated by authorities.
By experience, it is not convenient to certify a new drive+motor, it is better to buy the proper motor with explosion-proof certification for use with inverter drives.

Regards
Mario

Mario Maggi - Italy - http://www.evlist.ithttps://www.axu.it

#24 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hello Tua

Mario has summed the situation up for you.
There are two separate issues here.
1. What is the efect on using an inverter on a standard induction motor and
2. what is the effect of using an inverter on an explosion proof motor.

We have already discussed the standard motor, and the use of an iverter will put extra stress on the insulation and bearings of that motor. The risk of early failure is increased.

An explosion proof motor is certified for particular operating conditions and under those conditions, the maximum temperature rise at any point in the motor will not exceed a test figure. If you change the conditions in any way, adding an inverter for example, the temperature rise will change and the certification will be null and void.

It is possible to get explosion proof motors that are certified for use with inverters, but they are certified for a particular inverter, not inverters in general.

Best regards,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users