7 replies to this topic

#1 easyser

easyser

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

easyser

What is the difference between Short Circuit MVA - Minimum value & Maximum Value?

What are the factors considered for calculation of the Short Circuit MVA - Minimum value & Short Circuit MVA - Maximum Value?

Thanks in advance

easyser

#2 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

MVA stands for Mega Volt Amps (mega = million), as opposed to kVA, kilo (thousand) Volt Amps.
Factors for calculating it are available generation capacity, less losses such as impedance, resistance, etc. through transforming and distribution.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

#3 easyser

easyser

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply.

But why there are two Short Cicuit MVA values; Minimum value & maximum value and what is the difference between the two ?

Thanks,
easyser

#4 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

What is the context of the question?

#5 easyser

easyser

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:32 AM

When providing the Short Circuit Capacity, MVA of the utility power network / system , the Minimum Short Circuit Capacity, MVA and the Maximim Short Circuit Capacity, MVA , both are indicated by the utility. For eg the minimum value may be 4000 MVA while the max value may be 5000 MVA. I would like to know the difference between the two and the need for specifying these two values ?

#6 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:27 AM

OK, way beyond me, sorry.
If I had to guess, I would say the Minimum value would be what the utility can supply by itself, the Maximum value would be with all other contributions, i.e. other customer's rotating equipment loads at the moment of a fault that would contribute to the fault capacity of the system. Is this a real problem or an assignment?

#7 easyser

easyser

Intermediate Member

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

There is no problem as such;but I was interested in knowing the significance of these two parameters,specified by the utility company, for the customer.

#8 sar

sar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

Actually, the Min and Max short circuit capacity comes in to picture when more than one transformers supply to the network. The Min Short circuit MVA is for the case when only one transformer supply power to the network. The maximum short circuit MVA is for the case when more than one parallel transformer (with individual secondary) supply power to the network simultaneously. Usually, most of the substation has two transformers with their individual secondary to ensure reliability. Hence two limits are given for this type of configuration.
QUOTE (easyser @ Apr 15 2006, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no problem as such;but I was interested in knowing the significance of these two parameters,specified by the utility company, for the customer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users