Building control for sump pump motor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mgendron_*

Guest_mgendron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2002 - 05:44 AM

Due to the staggeringly high cost of commercially-available products (approx $1000!), I want to build a control unit for a 117v sump pump motor. I want to use low-voltage DC for the switching (float switches) working a relay to start the motor. I will probably hang some "bells and whistles" on the controller, such as an alarm interface, automatic cycle button, etc. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me. . .heck, a complete schematic would be lovely!

Thanks
-Mark

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 09:43 PM

One thing to consider, if you are using low voltage DC for inputs from float switches etc, make sure that you have sufficient current flowing to over come the wetting contacts of the switches, or you will have intermittent operations.
Best regards,

#3 kgm2844

kgm2844

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 10:16 PM

First, I would need to know what 'bells and whistles' you want. Then, the amount of the budget you have for this project. From that information I could probably design something for you.

#4 grobert

grobert

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:56 AM

If you have a solid understanding of motor controls I would suggest using a smart (or programmable) relay. The Moeller units we use allow you two analog inputs as well as 5 or more digital inputs. With this you can do a number of things, for example: use transducer for proportional control, add timers, counters, 7 day events and so on. They are great and cost as little as $125.00. I highly suggest you use the software to program instead of at the face of the relay. It supports standard relay logic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users