• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro-M5

Gyro-M5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

A unity PF means that, at a fixed voltage, a given quantity of power will be transfered with a lower value of current, than that with a low lagging PF (Power=V*I*cosŲ). Since household energymeters are mostly current transformer based, it implies that if the PF correction equipment is used between the load and the energymeter, the energymeter must record a lesser reading, thereby reducing the power bill. If instead the PF correction equipment is used before the input to the energymeter, then it will only help recuce the I²R loss in the power cable supplying power to the user & benefit the power company, not the end user.
Open to suggestions...

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hello Gyro-M5

Welcome to the forum.

Energy meters measure current and voltage, that is, they have both a current input and a voltage input.
The reading is based on true KW, not assumed KW based on current.

As the energy meter measures KWHrs, and the KW consumed will not alter with the addition of power factor correction, there will be no advantage in adding power factor correction unless you pay an additional maximum demand charge, or a PF penalty.

Best regards,

#3 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

And most residential users do not pay pf penalties.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

#4 Bill Wynne

Bill Wynne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

Redesdential PF correction is accomplished with a new device on the market. It is called the Xpower Saver and just today someone using a Kill a Watt meter. The plugged the Kill a Watt meter in and then plugged a power strip in to it. Plugged into the powerstrip were two products. One was a inductive load and the second was this Xpower Saver I mentioned. When the inductive load is powered on the Kill a Watt meter will read x amount for watt usage and then you can also get a reading on the PF. When you then power on the Xpower Saver the PF increases from say .2 to .74 so correspondingly the watt usage drops to the more accurate amount which will be paid for.

I would appreciate any comments on this product as you have time.
The Xpower Saver can be viewed on this website www.xpowertechnology.com

Thank you
Bill

#5 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hello Bill

Welcome to the forum.

While the theory and examples of this technology may look convincing to some, I for one see this as power factor correction on a domestic supply and if this is what it is, then you will not reduce the KWHrs used and therefore not reduce the domestic power bill.

Power factor correction has been around for a long time and it has been proposed as a means of energy saving on many occasions.
The bottom line is that power factor correction will reduce the line losses, but not the KW consumed by the load.
If the supply meter is based on current rather than KWHrs, then you will possibly see a reduction. If the meter is based on KWHr (which is the norm) then you will not see a reduction.

Additionally, the domestic power factor is generally pretty high which is why the supply authorities do not monitor and charge for PF or KVA usage.

Please note, this forum is for non commercial usage. Product promotion is not allowed.

Best regards,

#6 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hi Bill, I followed your link and read with interest the test results (http://www.xpowertec...ent_testing.pdf). While there is clearly a reduction in Amps, as is expected with any form of PFC, the Power (Watts) result is more important.
Experiment one shows no change in Watts.
Experiment 2 shows a 0.8% INCREASE in Watts.
Experiment 3 shows a 0.5% INCREASE in Watts.
Experiment 4 shows a 0.9% DECREASE in Watts.
If we take the best result (Experiment 4) the load without the device is 449W and without is 442W thus a reduction of 7 W. In my part of the world we pay around 15c/kWh. If our device runs 24hours a day 7 days a week 52 weeks a year we would save a whopping $9.17 per year. Most of my customers find a 2-3 year payback acceptable so if this device costs around $25 AND my devices runs constantly then it may be a viable option. Or I could just switch it off for 20 minutes per day.

Ken

I have just noticed Experiment 5 but it seems around the same as Experiment 4 so my view does not change.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

#7 jOmega

jOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

Unit retails for $199.99 USD.

Caveat Emptor

#8 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

It never ceases to amaze me...

One of these days I'm going to release my "Patented Sure-Fire Watt Stopping Power Miserly Energy Reverserator"

Here's a picture.
Energy Reverserator

No fair copying!

#9 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

jRaef, can i become your first distributor?? We could make millions from such an innovation.

Maybe we could give away free steak knives with each unit shipped. " But wait theres more" Not only do we save thousands off your annual energy bill we can extend the life of your equipment! Reduce wear and tear! All for 300 easy payments of $99!
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

#10 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

LOL,
"But act now and enter our super secret discount code "foolhardy", and we'll knock off 3 of those payments!
Call now, operators are standing by! This offer expired 4 days ago, but by special request we have held it over, just for you! So ACT NOW!"

Just because the subject of this thread is more directly linked to residential energy savers, here is some interesting information I posted in another thread.

http://www.lmpforum....?...post&p=5002

D'oh! Just read your earlier post pointing out the same thing kens. Sorry, didn't mean to try and steal your thunder...

Great minds think alike I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users