35 replies to this topic

#21 MaVericK

MaVericK

• PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(MaVericK @ Oct 20 2006, 04:01 PM) View Post

Hi all,

There is a company in India (Pune to be precise) which also manufactures MV Soft starters. However, these starters do not use thyristor switching, instead they work on FCMA principle (Flux Compensated Magnetic Amplifier). The technology may sound obsolete, but I can assure you that there are many takers of such starters in India. And if I am not mistaken, they have recently supplied these starters as far away as Jamaica. Link to their site is given below. In India, they have acquired a good share of the MV soft starter market as their price is 1/3rd of an equivalent thyristorized soft starter.

FCMA

Hi Guys,
No comments? what is your take on this technology?

#22 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(MaVericK @ Oct 31 2006, 03:28 AM) View Post

Hi Guys,
No comments? what is your take on this technology?

Hi MaVerick,
This is actually a very old technology. GE used to call them Amplistat Starters, Westinghouse called them MagAmp starters. The basic technology was invented in the 1920's and they were used up to and through WWII for motor controls until the SCR based soft starters became cheaper and more reliable, then they completely died out. The technology itself continued on as a component in Switch Mode power Supplies until just a few years ago. But as motor starters they were expensive and complicated, using vacuum tubes and other amplifier technology that made them somewhat unreliable. This new incarnation is likely a solid state version which may have overcome some of those problems, I don't know.

Usually when a technology dies in the marketplace there is more than one reason and if big companies with vast R&D resources like GE and Westinghouse chose to abandon it, then there must have been something they knew that caused them to move to SCR based products.

The problem I see with this now is that it is only made in one place, which limits the accessibility of support and competition. If it is a good technology, I would expect others to be jumping all over it. I first heard of this brand of starter in 2003 and as yet there is still only one manufacturer. Back when I used to work for a competitor of theirs I went up against them in India and the Mid East a few times. Even though their pricing appeared lower at the outset, they tended to leave a lot of things out, such as the necessary switchgear, protection etc., so when the entire package was considered they ended up being more expensive than solid state.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

#23 jOmega

jOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

Have you read their FAQ ?

Also have you read their Technical Paper .....

"Harmonic-Free Magnetic (FCMA) Soft Starters for Large Capacity High voltage Induction and Synchronous Motors Driving Pumps and Compressors"

If you are buying on PRICE alone, be advised (warned?) that this is a 'BARE BONES', W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. soft starter.

Ability to adjust the starting characteristics to a particular machine and/or process is extremely limited; i.e., you can adjust fixed taps on the FCMA and that's about it (according to their literature).

Before deciding whose Soft Start to purchase, the user is well advised to make a list of all the features and functions his application requires ..... and then see if the FCMA unit can satisfy those requirements. If it does, then it might be a good choice; if not, eliminate it from consideration.

You get what you pay for!

Caveat Emptor

#24 bookevg_ekra

bookevg_ekra

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:05 AM

Anybody had any experience with medium voltage soft starters??
I have large experience with medium voltage soft starters. I live in Russia. I worked the firm VNIIR. My former firm made and make medium voltage soft starter. The control system of this soft starter is analog. I developed automated control system for reduced-current start of several motors (from 1 to 10). We applied this system and soft-starter for famous russian oil companes. But this year I and other members of our team retire from VNIIR. Now we are developing new digital medium voltage soft starter and new automated control system for reduced-current start of several motors (from 1 to 16).

#25 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

Good luck with that. It's a fairly big market out there, but I know for a fact that very few companies are marketing into Russia and other former Soviet countries. They are not familiar with how to approach that marketplace or how to do business there. Siemens and ABB seem to be doing some projects now and then, but certainly if you have a product and local expertise you should be able to command that part of the world.

#26 xuxingyin

xuxingyin

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

HPMV-DN Medium Voltage Soft Starter 2300-13800V,60-1000A.

www.softstart.com.cn

Best soft starter manufactuer in China! cool.gif

#27 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(xuxingyin @ Mar 18 2007, 09:02 PM) View Post

HPMV-DN Medium Voltage Soft Starter 2300-13800V,60-1000A.

www.softstart.com.cn

Best soft starter manufactuer in China! cool.gif

Just a brand label of the Solcon starter. Maybe a knockoff, they are know for doing that in China.

#28 GGOSS

GGOSS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

I would agree with jraef. All starters offered on that site appear to be brand labelled variants of products originally manufactured by Solcon and Carlo Gavazzi.

Regards,
GGOSS

#29 xuxingyin

xuxingyin

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:46 AM

hapn, www.softstart.com.cn

#30 xuxingyin

xuxingyin

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE(jraef @ Mar 19 2007, 01:15 PM) View Post

Just a brand label of the Solcon starter. Maybe a knockoff, they are know for doing that in China.

Yes,the company learns from ABB,SOLCON,make some changes and improvements.By now, they dare not to sell soft starters to Israel.

#31 jimjiang12

jimjiang12

• PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Igneous @ Sep 5 2003, 07:57 PM) View Post

This is not off topic! They (TRIOL corp.) do really MV softstarters! 6-13 kV!!! May be they not lay out an info on english? smile.gif I found russian page only HERE. One more russian MV softstarters creator is VNIIR READ MORE , READ INFOthey create softstarters for induction motors and synchronous motors (project) (they plan 2 use the variable frequency start smile.gif )

hmmmm, good, but may i ask a question, is it a ads section? just kidding tongue.gif

#32 bookevg

bookevg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

1.www.vniir.ru
Our team developed our first medium voltage soft starter (2001) and our first medium voltage load commutated inverter (2005) in firm VNIIR. We set in operation (2001-2008) many soft starters (over 100-200) in Russia.
2.www.ekra.ru
Now, the most part of our team are working (2006-2008) firm EKRA. We developed new design and digital control system of medium voltage soft starter (2006) and load commutated inverter (2007). We set in operation (2006-2008 April) new soft starters (over 30) in Russia. We set in operation our soft starter of synchronous motor with power rating 12500 kWatt.

#33 lau

lau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

soft start a motor can be change the frequency of the supply voltage.for example when the frequency at starting is 20HZ,the starting torque can be at its max.and the speed can be somewhat at 600rpm.when the frequency gradually increase to the normal supply frequency,the motor is undergo a soft start.
also it is possible to adjust the rpm of the motor at any value with the same vfd.

#34 acdrive

acdrive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:ac drive, frequency inverter...

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

MV soft starter is not hard to operate. But it's better to get the manual and consult the manufaturer for mv soft starter.

#35 wrav001

wrav001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Mountaineering,Reading Books(mountaineering,currently reading a book of Mark Ingis a selfish bast..), Rock Climbing, Snow Borading, Cycling, Future weapons, Buddhism, Vegetarianism... Energy Saving,motors,boilers Basically any thing does spin my wheels....

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (marke @ Oct 20 2004, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that AuCom are able to supply MV also, see http://www.aucom.co.nz

Best regards,

Agree.. Aucom does supply good MV Soft Starters. They are cheaper than ABB and Schneider for a fact and Made in New Zealand.
I have seen some 400kW 400V 20year old Aucom SS still going strong.
As far as I know Aucom only manufacturers Soft Starters.

#36 mayank

mayank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

FCMA soft starters are quite beneficial as compared to the traditional thyristor based starters as they just consists of an inductive coil which initially helps to start the motor at a low voltage and gradually as the motor acquires 80% or so of its rated speed it is bypassed........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users