• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LoneGunman

LoneGunman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

First off, very informative site, I'm glad I found it.

I'm an electrician with just about zero experience on VFD's. A customer of ours purchased the f7, remote and motor, it was supposed to be already programmed. After hooking everything up, I can start the motor from the remote but I cannot adjust the speed, the speed stays constant at what I would think to be about 5hz no matter which way I turn the speed adjustment.

I called the company who sold it, they insisted it was programmed and that it was a wiring issue, I was not the one who initially wired it so I double checked, everythings wire correctly. I called Yaskawa tech support, they said that it sounded like a programming issue. I had the manual printed out and called tech support again, due to my inexperience with VFD's they pretty much told me I was on my own. I reccomended our client call someone else who has experience on this drive, they called around and we did also, neither of us could find someone locally.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this drive functioning? I'm reading the manual now but could obviously use some help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.

Brian

#2 jOmega

jOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:50 AM

Wecome to the Forum, Brian.

Can you describe just how you are attempting to change the speed with the Remote.

Tell us what steps you take with the Remote ... to make the speed change that doesn't seem to work

for you. Also, I note from your profile, that you neglected to state where you are located.

That helps also.

Ok ?

Thanks ...

#3 bob

bob

• PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

Hi,

I have got plenty of Yaskawa F7 on site at my place and I`m pretty sure I could help you.After powering the VSD , you ought to check parameters U1-01, U1-02, U1-05. You are also advised to check the following constants b1-01 and b1-02. This is one of the most reliable drive I have seen so far.
Fell free to revert back.

Bob

#4 LoneGunman

LoneGunman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for all the help, I finally figured it out. It was a wiring issue, a very large issue. Our customer purchased the VFD,motor ETC as a package. Inside the enclosure was supposed to be already wired except for my company running two cables from the remote speed pot to a terminal block in the enclosure. Whomever drew the print used "1" where a "2" should have been so there were two sets on 12,13,14 ETC. I guess whoever assembled everything in the enclsure randomly picked which same numbered wire he wanted to use. I didnt check the wiring in the actual drive until yesterday afternoon when I couldnt figure out what else to try.

As I said, the unit was supposed to be ready to go so I had no reason to check the wiring inside the drive.

Long story short, its most of the way working now after rewiring everything. I still have an S3 fault, I probably miswired a relay.

It sucks for our customer but it was great experience for me

#5 jOmega

jOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:35 AM

Hello Brian,

Thank you for providing feedback on what you found to be the problem.

We all appreciate your kind consideration.

Over 40 years ago, I learrned that when troubleshooting a problem, NEVER assume anything. Always check and verify for yourself. That lesson proved to be very valuble over the years.

I hope that you too will not forget this lesson. It will serve you well over the years and problems to come. I hope that readers of this Forum will value this lesson as well.

Kind regards,

#6 bob

bob

• PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:55 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. However, one thing is still puzzling me, there is no S3 fault on Yaskawa F7. you will have as faults OH3, OL3, Uu3, UL3,EF3,LPF03,LPF23,oPE03,ER-03,ER-13,End3.

Regards.

Bob

#7 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:46 AM

NEVER assume anything. Always check and verify for yourself.

I totally agree. It is often the simple and most obvious things that trip people up.
I have came in late to sort problems on many occasions to find that the obvious has not been checked and many hour have been spent looking for the complicated. For example, I have travelled many thousands of Kms to work out why soft starters do not work, only to find tha supply connected to the output and the motor connected to the input. I always ask the question and have found this to be the case on several occasions. Recently came across an autotransformer starter with the motor connected to the supply terminals and the supply connected to the reduced voltage terminals.
I have found with some people, that I have to ask the same question, once in the positive and once in the negative to ensure that I get a consistant answer. Some people just guess and that is very unhelpfull!!

Best regards,

#8 AB2005

AB2005

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

NEVER assume anything. Always check and verify for yourself.

Dear jOmega and Marke

You are the Boss. Thanks a lot for providing a very valuable rule. I'll also never forget it. I hope that you will also guide us in future.

"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

#9 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

I cant remember how many times in the past that I have given tech support over the phone and have known that the fault that is happening cannot occur unless there is a wiring fault. The customer will assure me that all the wiring has been checked and it MUST be a faulty drive, soft starter or whatever. The old comment of "This drive is a peice of junk" is made so along goes a tech and finds sure enough that there is a wiring fault. My advice to anyone who is getting tech support from any supplier is to LISTEN and then triple check any external wiring.
There are faults with new equipment at times but it is not very usual as most devices are load tested before leaving the factory so do not make the assumption that he fault is with the equipment rather than the installation.
Ken

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

#10 LoneGunman

LoneGunman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(kens @ Nov 2 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

I cant remember how many times in the past that I have given tech support over the phone and have known that the fault that is happening cannot occur unless there is a wiring fault. The customer will assure me that all the wiring has been checked and it MUST be a faulty drive, soft starter or whatever. The old comment of "This drive is a peice of junk" is made so along goes a tech and finds sure enough that there is a wiring fault. My advice to anyone who is getting tech support from any supplier is to LISTEN and then triple check any external wiring.
There are faults with new equipment at times but it is not very usual as most devices are load tested before leaving the factory so do not make the assumption that he fault is with the equipment rather than the installation.
Ken

Ken, I understand what you are saying, I cant imagine what tech support guys must put up with BUT the drive, remote,motor ETC was sold as a whole package, Yaskawa wired everything in the enclosure (terminal blocks, relays ETC) they or the supplier (Hockmeyer) obviously did not test their work. The fault was not caused by the installation.

Bob, the fault was caused by not having terminal S3 on the drive programmed correctly. Factory default was I believe NC and it needed to be NO.

Jomega & Marke, I totally agree and I should know better, I'm new to VFD's but not new to troubleshooting electrical installations. I ASSumed that the wiring from the manufacturer would be correct and I was intimidated by the **beep** thing because I have never worked on one.

#11 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:46 AM

Brian, my post was not directed at yourself but rather a general plea to all the readers and members of this forum to check every thing, even the most simple thing. Good on you for sorting the problem out.
Ken
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users