• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metro

metro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 09:48 AM

A 650kVA - 380Vac generator supplies various loads. Power supply is only one single generator and there is no mains connection.

Can I upgrade power factor of genset for ex. from 0.8 to 0.98 by using a power factor correcting system?

#2 Crowbar

Crowbar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Industrial Electrician/Electronic Tech(Forging Mill)

Posted 12 October 2002 - 12:23 AM

I don't see a reason to try, .8 isn't bad and with a generator there is no utility penalty to pay.

#3 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:40 AM

Hello Metro
Yes, you can increase the power factor by adding correction, however I would not go too far!!
If you have a single generator, the impedance will be moderately high and if you correct to too high a value, you stand the chance of resonances and rising voltages. I am not sure what is the mazimum pf that you should aim for, but would suggest that if you were at 0.95, you would have little to gain by going further and less problems with resonances.
Perhaps you should aske the genset supplier what they recommend as a maximum. - we would be interested in their comments also.
Best regards,

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

Please forgive my ignorance. In construction plans, many times the load in panel schedules is given in terms of amperage or KVA. Manufacturers of power generators usually rate the capacity of a generator in KW. Since the KVA equals the KW divided by PF. Wouldn't a lower PF cause the KVA to increase? If so, wouldn't a higher KVA allow you to supply more loads. The reason I ask this question is because generator manufacturers usually put the amperage output in their cut sheets and a typical PF is usually 0.8. I suspect the answer is that having a much lower PF will increase the amperage but it will not be at a phase angle that would be as useful. Please explain.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:20 AM

A generator comprises two major components, the engine and the alternator.
The engine is loaded by KW and the alternator is loaded by Amps.

To correctly size and match, you should select the engine on your KW loading and th alternator on your Amp or KVA demand.

Best regards,

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

What is the fundamental of resonance and how it will effect and give me brief idea about the loading status of Engine. Engine Share KW and Alternator Share KVA so How it is can you give me technical description on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users