7 replies to this topic

#1 cable

cable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

Dear All Expert,

I have install a ABB ACS-550 75Kw drive onto a machine motor, the machine motor rating below mention,
1) Voltage 380v.
2) Motor rating 55kw.
3) Motor ampere 84amp.
4) Motor speed 965rpm.

At the time we install the drive in there are no problem for 3 month, after that there a black out and 2 things keep happening on it.

Case 1
At first was using the comm to start/stop the motor but now i can't, have to use DI1 to do it.
have check the contactor and some replys nothing wrong on it.

Case 2
Same at first are all right but recently the drive display panel display fault (Fault code 1 for ABB ACS-550) overcurrent.

Case 3
I using the drive Modbus RS485 to communicate with a 24v to the machine, but after the black out the current came back the modbus area got burn (spoilt) and i have to connect the machine direct for them to production.

For the above i think have already size up the drive and should'nt have overcurrent problem,

And also the ventilation fan on the drive is not working well need to knock on it and it move.

Would it be the faulty fan that causes the problem, or the card inside the drive have spolit because of it?

Please advise

Regards
David

#2 chaterpilar

chaterpilar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

David,

Ventilation Fan not working is a cause of worry.

Now, few questions

1) Is the drive located in a rom which is airconditioned?

2) Is the motor drving a load which can be fluctuating ( For example a pulveriser.) Please check the load for any jam/clog overload.

3) Is the motor still OK. Check insulation resistance of motor.

I have seen a VSD ( ABB) showing same symptoms when a metal object came into the extruder it was driving.

I suggest a room for any VSD panel with air conditioner fitted, as you know electronics are finicky when it comes to temperature, and do replace the fan which needs knocking to start...

#3 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

I think the hardship here is to decode whether you have a true overcurrent fault or not. I would be very concerned about the control cards in the drive. The problems with the communications and the fan could be a sign of a problem with the drive internals.

I am not too faimliar with the ABB drive but the over current fault is usually different than an overload fault. This means that it can be caused by instantanious overcurrent such as that caused by the load binding or jamming.

Can you describe the application for us and also alittle more detail on the "burnt" modbus wiring

Kens
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

#4 cable

cable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi Chaterpilar,

Thank you chaterpilar thanks for you advise.

Below are answer to your question.

1) The drive is fix on room temperture area without air-conditioning.

2) Actually my drive in install to a plastic injection moulding machine which my principle had already done alot in UK on year 2000 till now and this is our first time to this problem.

3) The motor its seem to be normal (alst time is brand new and they have rewind the motor before)

Our Card (PDI) is to control the few step of the moulding machine and compromise the load of needed.

I will get the ABB guy to replace the ventilation fan and check on the internal card of the drive.

#5 cable

cable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hi Kens,

Thank you your advise.

At first we check the max current of the machine and it was 90 amp, we also afraid of the overcurrent issue thats why we upsize the drive to 75kw.

We have the PDI card Power Drive Interface card which we using the modbus to communicate with the drive at different speed depand on the machine load. Thats mean when offload the drive to slow the motor to 5Hz.

The drive modbus shield cable is connect from the drive to my PDI card.

When there is a black out my PDI card the modbus area got burn, (the component chips got burn)

There also people tell me to put a 500mA fuse at the shield cable to protect the card from shock.

#6 kens

kens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hi Cable, I would get the ABB tech to check the control section very carefully, the fan not running can be a sign of a control card power supply fault i.e low voltage. If the fan is 24vdc this may be the same voltage source that powers the control card and the comms card. Considering all the problems you have i think this sounds more likely than a true overcurrent fault.

I believe that an injection moulding machine is a high constant torque application so if all else checks out you need to check that the load is not binding intermittantly, check the gear box etc.

Kens
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

#7 pratik

pratik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(cable @ Jul 24 2007, 10:42 AM) View Post

Dear All Expert,

I have install a ABB ACS-550 75Kw drive onto a machine motor, the machine motor rating below mention,
1) Voltage 380v.
2) Motor rating 55kw.
3) Motor ampere 84amp.
4) Motor speed 965rpm.

At the time we install the drive in there are no problem for 3 month, after that there a black out and 2 things keep happening on it.

Case 1
At first was using the comm to start/stop the motor but now i can't, have to use DI1 to do it.
have check the contactor and some replys nothing wrong on it.

Case 2
Same at first are all right but recently the drive display panel display fault (Fault code 1 for ABB ACS-550) overcurrent.

Case 3
I using the drive Modbus RS485 to communicate with a 24v to the machine, but after the black out the current came back the modbus area got burn (spoilt) and i have to connect the machine direct for them to production.

For the above i think have already size up the drive and should'nt have overcurrent problem,

And also the ventilation fan on the drive is not working well need to knock on it and it move.

Would it be the faulty fan that causes the problem, or the card inside the drive have spolit because of it?

Please advise

Regards
David

Dear Dave

First of all make sure your ventilation fan is running.
Check all the IGBT for any loose connection or short circuiting.
Check the connections at the motor terminal and make sure it is not loose at all.
Check the Insulation resistance of the motor.

Please verify the load at the time of starting before you face this overcurrent tripping problem.
And try,if possible,to run the motor alone without gear box or any load connected to it. And tell me whether it trips on overcurrent or not ?

Pratik

#8 cable

cable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

Hi Pratik,

Have check and secure all connections, have no problem with the motor.

Previously the drive setting was at Vector and now have reset to scaler, and the acc time and decc time 0sec and have reset to 3sec. Till now have no complain from client.

Thanks for your advises.

David

QUOTE(pratik @ Aug 9 2007, 05:49 PM) View Post

Dear Dave

First of all make sure your ventilation fan is running.
Check all the IGBT for any loose connection or short circuiting.
Check the connections at the motor terminal and make sure it is not loose at all.
Check the Insulation resistance of the motor.

Please verify the load at the time of starting before you face this overcurrent tripping problem.
And try,if possible,to run the motor alone without gear box or any load connected to it. And tell me whether it trips on overcurrent or not ?

Pratik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users