• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amrh

amrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 11:46 AM

Is there a relation between the PF and the motor efficiency, Motor load , and would PF correction reduce the Green House Gases (GHG) to the atmosphere.

I would really appreciate it if you can provide me with real examples and case
studies in that field or if you can tell me here to find it over the net.

I read too many articles over the internet that impoving the PF will
improve the efficiency and reduce the GHG , but I am not convienced.

Thanks

--Amr

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 08:43 AM

Hello amrh

Is there a relation between the PF and the motor efficiency, Motor load , and would PF correction reduce the Green House Gases (GHG) to the atmosphere.  

If you look at the curves for an induction motor, you will find that there is some relationship between the efficiency and the power factor of the motor in that when the motor is operating with a hihg power factor, the efficiency is also high. When the power factor drops significantly (light load conditions) the efficiency also drops.
If you add power factor correction to an induction motor, you alter the power factor as seen by the supply, but the power factor of the motor itself does not change. The addition of power factor correction will not alter the KW consumed by the motor, but it can reduce the KW dissipated in the supply. This does not affect your meter.
Power factor correction can reduce the total current drawn from the supply, but not the KWHrs. The reduction in current will reduce the line losses and also the loading on transformers and generators. The actual reduction in losses will not have asignificant affect on the total power generated and therefore will not greatly affect the GHG. It will mean that the supply authority (power company) can connect more consumers to a given transformer so they save money in distribution equipment.

Best regards,

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:56 PM

Hello,

I am new at this. Great website by the way. Question for ya. I read in a post that by knowing the power factor, the connected load, and the basis of the power factor penalty, one can determine the best strategy for power factor correction. Can you give me an example of this fact??? I know some of the information needed is site spwcific meaning every area and situation is different. But can you give me a general calculation using fake numbers so I can undestand it better? If not here then at my e-mail at kris8830@hotmail.com

Thanks a bunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users