3 replies to this topic

#1 TDARDEN

TDARDEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:16 AM

Hi
I am building a 3 phase converter using a 15 kva transformer to generate the 3rd leg. I need some way to bring my transformer up with out a huge inrush of current blowing fuses. Can I use a soft-starter for this or are they designed exclusively for motor control.
Thanks
tdarden3k

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hello TDARDEN

Yes, you certainly can use a soft starter to control a transformer, cone it plenty of times, but it may depend on your circuit configuration and on the transformer configuration.
If you use a three phase soft starter, it will probably expect the output to be balanced and three wire only. If you use a single phase soft starter and transformer, ensure that it is rated for the voltage.

Best regards,

#3 TDARDEN

TDARDEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Marke

Thanks for the reply . I had ordered a couple and was hoping I had not wasted my money. It is a single phase configuration (230 volt ) US operation and I ordered 208-240 volt devices.

Also since I have never worked with these devices, do they vary the voltage to the controlled device or vary/limit the current to the device.

Are the manually adjustable ?

Thanks

#4 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

The soft starter uses phase controlled SCRs to vary the average voltage applied to the load. Some soft starters incorporate a current feedback loop so that they can limit the average current applied, but I have not seen this feature on single phase units.

Best regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users