• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bookworm

bookworm

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

VAR compensator

What are they? and what's the difference between using these bad boys compared to just using caps...? (for power factor correction)

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hello bookworm

I presume by VAR compensators, you are referring to Static Var Compensators.

A static VAR compensator operates typically on medium voltage and consists of "thyristor valves" which are medium voltage thyristor based AC switches that control inductors and capacitors. The Static VAR compensator is able to provide negative and positive VAR compensation to correct both leading and lagging power factors. The advantage of the static compensator is that it is able to operate at high speed compared to normal switched power factor correction, plus it is able to provide leading and lagging compensation compared with the lagging compensation of capacitor correction

Alternatively, you can use an unloaded synchronous motor. The VAR loading on the supply is controlled by controlling the excitation applied to the motor. This can provide leading and lagging compensation.

Best regards,

#3 bookworm

bookworm

• PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Thanks the post was most helpful.

I would rep+ you if I knew how but one more question I looked around when I googled VAR compensators is there any difference between a

A Static VAR Compensator and a Adaptive VAR Compensator? or is adaptive VAR compensators just a brand for static var compensator?

#4 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hello bookworm

I believe that they are essentially a similar thing, but the term adaptive seems to be applied to systems that respond at a higher speed. Typically the adaptive responds in half a cycle.

Best regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users