• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bob

bob

• PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

I understand that by using a soft start on a slip ring motor, the lock rotor torque is very poor and this is not a convenient way to start high inertia load even by adding extra resistance to the rotor circuit. I have heard that some soft starters are able to produce 400-500 % starting torque. How far this is true ?

Regards.

Bob

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

Hello Bob

The major advantage of the secondary resistance starter, is that you can alter the slip of maximum torque by altering the rorotr resistance. By doing so in a number of steps, you can achieve a high torque from zero speed to full speed at a relatively low starting torque. With sufficient well placed steps, you can have in the order of 200% torque at less than 250% current right through to full speed.

The only other way that you can achieve this, is by using a shorted rotor and an appropriate variable frequency drive. Note: Most drives will not produce the high torque at less than 5 - 10 Hz!

If you use a soft starter and a single stage of resistance, you essentially make the slip ring motor emulate a standard cage motor and so you have a high start current for a nominal start torque, for example 400% current and perhaps 100% torque.

I do not know of any way that a soft starter can give you 400% start torque. This is higher than the motor will produce DOL or with a secondary resistance starter.

Best regards,

#3 bob

bob

• PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Mark. This subject is very well explained in the soft starter topic on your site.

Kind regards.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users