Photo

experience using dc injection from a VFD to motor as a anti-condensation method?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grobert

grobert

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:09 PM

Has anyone had experience using dc injection from a VFD to motor as a anti-condensation method?

Customer has aprox 50 motors with VFD existing. Motors are in high moisture area. They can't / don't want to have heaters installed in motors.

Any experience / formulas or methods greatly appreciated.

#2 jraef

jraef

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:35 AM

Theoretically there is no problem doing it, but can the VFDs be configured to do this continuously? I don't know of any, but then again, I've never checked. As to formulae, I don't have much to offer. My company sells a Motor Winding Heater that does what you are planning, but is designed as a stand-alone product. The output is 1/2 wave AC (quasi DC). We found during testing that motor windings under 10HP seem to have a positive coefficient of temperature, while everything larger tends to have a negative coefficient. Therefore a 10A 1/2 wave output will work on any motor 10-100HP, but a 3HP motor may need 25A to get the same temp rise, effectively eliminating it as a solution because the wiring is usually not rated for that. Hope this helps.
"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users