5 replies to this topic

#1 mea03wjb

mea03wjb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi,

I have just installed a VSD and gone through the set-up wizard to configure the drive. Everything went well I got the drive to rotate the motor at low speed to find the direction of rotation. It was going the wrong way so I needed to turn off the drive and re-wire the motor.

The problem was that when I turned the drive off (by isolating it at the wall outlet) the RCCB at the wall outlet tripped? Then when I reset the trip and try to turn the drive back on it trips when I try to turn it back on?

I kept trying and eventually I managed to get it to turn on without tripping but when I turned it off again it tripped again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I have little expereince with VSDs so I have no idea what is going on.

NOTE: it is telling me that there is an encoder error - this is beacuase I haven't fitted the encoder yet, just wanted to check the rotation direction - but this surely shouldn't affect turning on and off.

Thanks,
Wilf

#2 yuri

yuri

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

Pins in the plug come in and out of contact at slightly different times (let's say 1 milisec.)
I am in doubt whether VSDs are used with RCCBs - a B type circuit breaker is only needed: throw away the RCCB (in any case it will become a nuisance with the VSD now installed).

#3 AB2005

AB2005

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:43 AM

Yes! I also agree with yuri.
VSD don't need any RCCB. We always connect an MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) or MCCB (Molded Case Circuit Breaker)

"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

#4 mea03wjb

mea03wjb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

Okay, I hope that is the problem.

But whay don't you need an RCCB? I thought the other breakers (e.g. MCB) that you mentioned protect against overload only - what is protecting the system from residual current problems?

Thanks.

#5 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hello mea03wjb

You can get special RCCB for use with VFDs.
These have a slower response time and will allow you to connect and disconnect your VFD without tripping.

Best regards,
Mark.

#6 mea03wjb

mea03wjb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

Is this the A type RCCB or the 'SI' type?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users