Yaskawa Spindle Motor And Single Phase

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 integerspin

integerspin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a motor, especially when it has a couple of wheels.<br />

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

I have a Matsuura milling machine I am refitting with modern electronics.
The spindle motor is a Yaskawa EEVA 51KM, it was driven by an inverter the size of a fridge.
I have to make everything smaller as there wasn't room in my garage for it as it was;-)

The spindle is a single speed job with speed control by a yaskawa spindle drive[vfd], the drive
controlled the motor between 60 and 6,000 rpm which gave spindle speeds of 40rpm to 4,000rpm.
I would like a similar speed range if possible. The original inverter was able to orientate the spindle
for tool changes, but I can live without that.

I spoke to someone who sells VFD's, sent him the yaskawa pdf for the motor and he thought I could run it off a 4kw
inverter OK. I picked up an Omron 3G3MV A2040 single phase input inverter and it runs it up to 5 hz or so then faults with
inverter overload fault.. I spoke to someone who sells Yaskawa stuff, he said the motor and inverter were probably
developed for Matsuura and he had coem across them before and had ended up fixing the original drives as they couldn't
get them running with generic VFDs, I just had an email from Yaskawa, who answered my question by recomending I
fit a generic 3 phase motor, or reinstall the original drive[which I sold for 30!]

From it's plate:
137 V 50Hz 24A 1500rpm 3.7Kw
178 V 202Hz 19A 6000rpm 3.7kw

I am wondering if it could be economically rewound[not sure those two words go together] to suit a 4kw inverter?
I think a 112 frame 3 phase motor will probably end up being fitted but wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions?

#2 jOmega

jOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (integerspin @ Jun 29 2010, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Matsuura milling machine I am refitting with modern electronics.
The spindle motor is a Yaskawa EEVA 51KM, it was driven by an inverter the size of a fridge.
I have to make everything smaller as there wasn't room in my garage for it as it was;-)

The spindle is a single speed job with speed control by a yaskawa spindle drive[vfd], the drive
controlled the motor between 60 and 6,000 rpm which gave spindle speeds of 40rpm to 4,000rpm.
I would like a similar speed range if possible. The original inverter was able to orientate the spindle
for tool changes, but I can live without that.

I spoke to someone who sells VFD's, sent him the yaskawa pdf for the motor and he thought I could run it off a 4kw
inverter OK. I picked up an Omron 3G3MV A2040 single phase input inverter and it runs it up to 5 hz or so then faults with
inverter overload fault.. I spoke to someone who sells Yaskawa stuff, he said the motor and inverter were probably
developed for Matsuura and he had coem across them before and had ended up fixing the original drives as they couldn't
get them running with generic VFDs, I just had an email from Yaskawa, who answered my question by recomending I
fit a generic 3 phase motor, or reinstall the original drive[which I sold for 30!]

From it's plate:
137 V 50Hz 24A 1500rpm 3.7Kw
178 V 202Hz 19A 6000rpm 3.7kw

I am wondering if it could be economically rewound[not sure those two words go together] to suit a 4kw inverter?
I think a 112 frame 3 phase motor will probably end up being fitted but wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions?

Without having the manual for the VFD to read (Omoron requires registration as a prerequisite to access the manual ... and I really don't want to be in their database just to read their manual !!!!!) .... I would guess that you have not calibrated the VFD for the motor. As a consequence, the VFD is undoubtedly operating on default settings and as a result, is supplying 200v at 50 Hz .... which means that the V/Hz is 4. This motor ... operating in the base speed range .... requires 137v @ 50 Hz .... for a V/Hz of 2.74 .......

So, if the V/Hz is at the default value .... of 4 ..... then you are undoubtedly overexciting and saturating the iron in the motor .... and as a consequence ... are drawing an abnormal amount of current causing it to trip on overload.

You need to calibrate the VFD to the nameplate or rating plate info on the motor.... that is ..... the motor wants to see 137v at 50 Hz ..... and 178v at 202 Hz

The motor is designed to operate Constant Torque Mode from 0 to 50 Hz and Constant HP Mode from 50 Hz to 202 Hz.

Once you have the VFD properly calibrated to the motor requirements, it should run ok.

NOTE: not being familiar with the OMORON VFD .... I hope you have predetermined that it can accommodate the motor requirements for voltage and frequency and current.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users