Photo

Shield Wire Of Power Cable Of Servo Motor.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AB2005

AB2005

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:55 AM

Dear Friends,

It is a common practice for us to connect one end of shield wire of power cable of servo motor with motor body and other end to the chases of drive. But I found an application where the shield was connected just only the chases of drive, for motor end, it was floating. I checked the drawing of machine and found here the same configuration. This confused me as it is against the normal practice.
Can any body has answer about it?
"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hello AB2005

The screen should be connected at both ends, but there are serious misunderstandings out there where some "experts" claim that you should only earth one end of the screen.

For control signals and low level analog signals, you only earth one end where you are likely to create an earth loop by connecting both ends. The earth loop can result in moderate currents (relative to the control signal) that can cause interference.
For power circuits on the output of VFDs or Servo Drives where the output voltage is PWM, it is imperative that you connect both ends of the screen using 360 degree clamp type connections.
This provides a low impedance high frequency earth return path for the currents capacitively coupled to the frame of the motor.

see http://www.vfd-emc.co.nz for more explanations.

Oops, another earth quake rattled through. felt like a good 5.

Best regards,
Mark.

#3 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello AB2005

Is this resolved??

Best regards,
Mark.

#4 AB2005

AB2005

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi Marke,

Sorry for late reply, was busy in a project.
I have asked that question to the machine supplier but their is a deep silent yet. I am waiting and if they would not reply, i will connect the shield at motor end also.
"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users