• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forgivenjojo

forgivenjojo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:36 AM

I have a question about a location that has mulitple refrigeration motors. How can I find out the total power factor of the system? How can I correct?

I am a Hydrogen Fuel Cell student at TSTC Waco, TX

Thanks,

Joe

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:35 AM

Hello Joe

Welcome to the forum.
There are clip on power factor meters that can tell you the power factor. These are not particularly cheap, so you should find someone that will lend you one!!
Otherwise you can measure the power consumed (KW) usig a power meter, and the current consumed with an ameter. Calculate the KVA (phase to phase Volts times current times root 3 divided by 1000). If you divided the KW by the KVA, you have power factor.

The power factor is improved by adding capacitors. see http://wwww.LMPhoton...com/pwrfact.htm

Best regards,

#3 forgivenjojo

forgivenjojo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

couldnt I start out with the electric bill first to find my overall power factor. Use the total watts used by KVA from the demand meter. Then move on to individual motors or lights?

Thanks,

Joe in Texas

#4 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Hello Joe
If you have an electric bill that gives the maximum demand KW and the maximum demand KVA, then yes you could. Most electric bills that I ahve seen just give a total KWHrs used in a period and the maximum deand KVA during that period. These are measured on a different timebase etc and will not give you PF.

Best regards,

#5 forgivenjojo

forgivenjojo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

okay,

How can I analyze the total system power factor? Remember I am a student. Where would I take measurements etc?

Thanks,

Joe in Texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users