• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speed

speed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

hi, it seems most of the discussion is about PF relating to motors, but i am wondering about fluorecsent lights. we have a number of buildings on a campus with combined single and 3 phase 208vac. the pf is down at .74 and there is a steep penalty for this. can we install bulk PF correction? does it need to be switched to avoid over correction? thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Hello speed
Welcome to the forum

You can bulk correct the displacement component of the power factor only. Fluorecsent lights have a displcement component due to the ballast and a distortion component due to the tube.
If electronic ballasts are used, there is only distortion power factor and this can not easily be corrected.

I would strongly recommend that detuning reators are used with the bulk correction due to the presence of harmonics from the tubes.

Best regards,

#3 speed

speed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

thanks for your reply and the information you have provided. i am wondering if you can tell me what range the distortion harmonics caused by the tubes are in.

#4 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:19 PM

Hi speed

I am sorry, I do not have that information here, maybe someone can help you on this forum.

Best regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users