choice of armour cable for motor

Chris57

someone raised a point about supplying an 11kw motor with a star/delta starter using two seperate armours for supply to motor 1 for run and one for star... I have never heard of this method being preferred and can find no reference to it anywhere has anyone else came accross thisText

You need to have six cores from the starter to the motor. It is possible to use two three core cables, or six single core cables. Thus, the answer to your question is yes.

Best regards

Yes two three cores for y and d would give the six required but I would install 1 x 7 core this gives the option at a later date to utalise the seventh core as earth or a nuetral if for example a bulkhead fitting was required for an external motor My post really was asking was there any particular reason anyone could thinkof for using two seperate cables and thanks for the prompt replies and input

Hi Chris57

The major reason is for identification, one cable connects to the start of each winding and to the main contactor and the other cable connects to the ends of each winding and to the delta contactor. Electrically, both options are staisfactory if you really must use a star/delta starter.

Best regards,