UPS and voltage fluctuations

chaterpilar

Hi !!

We are planning to set up a hightech Chemical Lab with state of the art instruments.

We are bit worried about the voltage dips/ fluctuations effecting the instruments, and hence we plan to install On-line UPS ( 3 phase 20 kva).

Will UPS take care of these transient dips and voltage dips ( which make the lights go OFF for a second), and keep the instruments clear of these dips?

Any inputs are welcome..

Chaterpilar

Hi !!

We are planning to set up a hightech Chemical Lab with state of the art instruments.

We are bit worried about the voltage dips/ fluctuations effecting the instruments, and hence we plan to install On-line UPS ( 3 phase 20 kva).

Will UPS take care of these transient dips and voltage dips ( which make the lights go OFF for a second), and keep the instruments clear of these dips?

Any inputs are welcome..

Chaterpilar

Hi Chaterpilar,

It should, but from experience I can tell you that you must carefully read and understand the specifications of whatever UPS you intend to buy. Some do NOT condition power continuously, they just switch over to battery supply whenever power is out of spec. That will work, but decreases battery life. A power conditioning UPS will either be a PWM type where the PWM output is always on, therefore the output is constant, or a transformer / tap switch type that uses high speed tap switches on the transformer to maintain voltage as much as possible before switching to battery power. Either of those types are preferable, but of course the vendors will haggle over the pros and cons of each other.

"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

I agree with jraef, I would suggest to select an UPS "on-line double conversion" type.

Regards

Mario

Mario Maggi - Italy - http://www.evlist.it - https://www.axu.it