Electro Chloration Unit

mali

We have Electro coloration unit ,10 cells are badly damaged by overheating due to low sea water flow because of clogging of SW path by salt deposit and required to be replaced.We have no spares.is any body with more expriance tell me what will be hapent if we do one of the following:

1-Is it possible to remove the ten damaged cells and start the unit without those damaged cells till we get the spares. OR

2-We have some cells was remaining from commussioning stage have good anodes but cathodic plates thickness have came dowen from 4mm to less than 1mm due to connected with wrong power supply polarties,so can we use those calls temporary till we get spare cells? The following are main characteristics of the unit:

Electrolyzer :

Number of cells 20,Expected cell normal/max voltage: 4.25/5 V,Nominal load 6500 A

Expected power consumption: 3.7 KWhDC/kg CL2 (clean)

Rectyfier:

Type: thyristors,Output voltage: 100 V DC,Output current: 6500 A DC,Total losses: 38.4KW

Thanks a lot

Hello mali,

I think the original manufacturer of the system would be the best source for this question of course, but if that is not possible, this may help. I have no experience in electrochlorination units that large, but I did work on some that were much smaller in the past. If I remember correctly the connection was always parallel, not series, so leaving damaged cells out of the circuit would just reduce your chlorine output. But to be sure, just look at how they are connected. If for instance the positive of one cell is connected to the anode, then the cathode is connected to the anode of the next cell, that would be a series connection and removal of any cell would increase the voltage on the remaining ones, which would hasten their demise. If all of the anodes are connected to one polarity and all of the cathodes to the other, then it is a parallel connection so removal would just decrease output. Likewise for using the thinner cathodes, it will just reduce the effectiveness, but you should still get some protection from them.

"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

Hello mali

The description of the cells and power suply suggest that you have 20 cells in series.

If you just short out the damage cells, you willhave twice the voltage across the remaining cells. This will probably cause major problems to those cells.

I you can reduce the voltage output from the power supply to half voltage, then you could remove the ten cells, but I expect that if you use the SCRs to reduce the voltag, you will have a much higher ripple voltage than with the full output and this could introduce other issues.

I would stongly recommend that you talk to the suppliers before you do anything.

Best regards,

Thanks Jraef and Marke

We maneged to strat the unit with 16 cells only (10 are good & 6 has cathodic plates thickness have less than 1mm and should be 4mm.before start I measured the resistance between anode &cathod for each cell ,it was hight for all.

Thanks a lot