Stall Current Of Motors

ram14375

Hi ram

The stall current of a motor is a function of it's design, it is not something that you can set or change, unless you are talking about a stall current setting on a protection relay.

If you are actually after the stall current setting for a protection relay, I would consult the manual as there are different settings depending on the make and model.

Best regards,

Hi ram

The stall current of a motor is a function of it's design, it is not something that you can set or change, unless you are talking about a stall current setting on a protection relay.

If you are actually after the stall current setting for a protection relay, I would consult the manual as there are different settings depending on the make and model.

Best regards,

sir

i would like to know how to protect the motor during stall. i understand this has to be taken from the thermal time curve of the motor.the protection comes into picture after the starting time delay and the motor reaches nearby synchronous speed.

I would like to know how this will work out for high inertia loads where you have prolonged starting time and there are times the motor is being started thrice continously after overloads

ram

Hi ram

To protect the motor correctly under these conditions, you need to use a good motor protection relay.

With such a relay, you will be able to program characteristics of the actual motor that you are using, such as the maximum start time, Locked Rotor Current etc.

Do not disable the protection during start, you will then have no protection!!

If you use a standard thermal overload, it will not give you good stall protection.

It is common for people to use thermal overload relays and to bridge them during start. This is to prevent them from operating on every start.

A good overload relay will be able to discriminate between a running motor and a stopped motor, it will have a different cooling rate for the motor depending on whether it is running or stopped, and it will model the temperature rise and fall based on the thermal capacity of the motor.

If you have the right protection relay, you will not have problems setting it up for the protection you are after.

Best regards,