Squirrel Cage Motor

bob

Hi,

I wish to share this with you something whic defeats the very basic understanding of electrical engineering, I just got a call from a customer claiming that he could not reverse the rotation of a three phase electric motor. He did change the phase on the terminals of the motor itself but the motor keep rotating in a clockwise direction. There is nothing connected at the output shaft of the motor, its a 1.5 k W 400 V motor.

I will drive there( 8 hours drive ) and keep the forum informed.

Bob

Hi Bob

I recently had a similar experience with an installation using a VFD.

The client insisted on reversing the phases at the input to the VFD rather than the output. Once the output phases were reversed, the problem went away.

I have also seen people reversing/swapping three phases rather than just two.

Interested to see what you find.

Best regards,

It could also be that he has an IMD unit (Integrated Motor-Drive) which has the VFD built right on to the motor.

http://danfossdrives.com/images/fcm.jpg

So he may not be aware of the VFD. If he is swapping leads at a remote motor starter or circuit breaker, it will have no effect on the motor rotation as Marke pointed out.

"He's not dead, he's just pinin' for the fjords!"

Perhaps he has lost a phase? A three phase motor running on two phases with no load connected will often rotate randomly.

One thing that I am sure about, you will not get the full story over the phone unfortunatly.

Good luck and I hope its a pleasant drive.

Kens

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Very true kens. A 6 SCR soft starter in which 1 SCR has an open gate can also exhibit similar behaviour. There again Bob, if the weather is good and the customer is paying, the drive might present as a well earnt break!

Regards,

GGOSS