Resistor.

chris1373

Hi, i have a General Electric resistor made in iron and it is completly rusty. So i disarmed it and clean every contact zone in it. This resistor is componed by 16 iron parts in series. The problem is that befor cleaning i measure 24 kohm and in the nameplate says 3 x 2.88 ohm, 150hp, 205 amps. And now i am measuring 0.7 ohms. What did i do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris.

resistor made in iron and it is completly rusty. This resistor is componed by 16 iron parts in series. The problem is that befor cleaning i measure 24 kohm and in the nameplate says 3 x 2.88 ohm, 150hp, 205 amps. And now i am measuring 0.7 ohms. What did i do wrong?

Chris.

Dear Friend

Some things are creating confusion.

(1) If resister has 16 iron parts then what is 3 x 2.8ohm?

(2) What is 150hp?

If this resister is finally packed in metal case, then it is possible that resister is shortening with body.

"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

Hi Chris

Sounds like you have also removed the insulation that should be there.

The resistor should have three terminals and from each terminal, there should be one point of contact to the resistor next to it, and that in turn, should have only one point of contact to the resistor next to it. Follow the current path (by inspection) and ensure that if the current goes in the bottom on one resistor, it comes out the top and connects to the next at the top, then the bottom etc. There is usually a mica insulation between the plates and the rods have an insulated sleeve.

Best regards,