Testing An Ac Diesel Generator.

chris1373

Hello Chris

Yes, that looks pretty good to me for a star connected load.

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris

Unfortunately, it is not as just a figure of Amps per square mm.

You are looking for an intermittant rating. There is power dissipated in the resistors due to the current through them and their resistance. This power will cause a temperature rise that is dependent on the power dissipated and the thermal resistance of the resistors.

The thermal resistance is a function of the total surface area of the resistors and the air flow through them. For short term overloads, you really need to know the transient thermal resistance for different time periods so that you can use the appropriate thermal resistance for the duration of the overload only.

You also need to know the maximum operating temperature that is acceptable in your installation.

Note, different grades of stainless steel will have different resistances.

Best regards,

Marke, i only need to know the minimum amps that my resistors can handle, not anything else!

I can send you pictures of the the resistor if it helps!

Please, give me a hand!

Chris.

PS: Is there any table you know for the current rating that stainless steel can handle, an aprox will do it?

Hello Chris

Unfortunately, it is not as just a figure of Amps per square mm.

You are looking for an intermittant rating. There is power dissipated in the resistors due to the current through them and their resistance. This power will cause a temperature rise that is dependent on the power dissipated and the thermal resistance of the resistors.

The thermal resistance is a function of the total surface area of the resistors and the air flow through them. For short term overloads, you really need to know the transient thermal resistance for different time periods so that you can use the appropriate thermal resistance for the duration of the overload only.

You also need to know the maximum operating temperature that is acceptable in your installation.

Note, different grades of stainless steel will have different resistances.

Best regards,