Energy Saving In My Country!

chris1373

Hi, i live in Chile!

We have a big problem with energy generation, couse we are 70% dependent on rain and hydraulic generation!

My question is! The authorities have a plan that decreased in a 10% the voltage!

So i think, if you decrease the voltage, you will save some energy couse P = V x I!

But, i think, in industrial and domestic proces, the key is not voltage, is power, so if i have to dry a t-shirt, it will take some kw to do it, so if i reduce the Volts and i want to have the same result, i have to increase the amps, and i finaly will be consuming tne same Power, or not?

Can any one put some light over my conclusions?

Thank in advance!

Chris!

Hello Chris

Reducing the voltage can actually increase the losses in some cases.

Motors operating under load, will draw more current when the voltage is reduced. This will increase the distribution losses and could result in overloaded transformers, motors and circuits.

Lighting and heating circuits will draw less current and absorb less KW per hour. If this type of load is used on a time basis, there will be a saving. If heating is closed loop and energy controlled, the heating cycle will be extended and no saving will be made.

Domestic lighting and flood lighting will reduce power with reduced voltage.

Street lighting will reduce power with reduced voltage.

Reduced voltage in domestic and commercial circuits will save some energy. Reduced voltage in industrial circuits can actually consume more energy.

Best regards,

Hello Chris

Yes, that is probably the true power factor of the bulb.

The energy saving lamps are a florescent tube with a solid state inverter ballast. These draw a lot of harmonics and so the harmonic power factor can be quite low.

Best regards,