Motor is very hot

David_Lee

Hi,

It can be a lot of reason to hot motor, you should check the current which the motor under the load. This current must be equal the current which written on the nameplate.

Reason of over temperature;

Overload

the deviation on the shaft line

Hi,

It can be a lot of reason to hot motor, you should check the current which the motor under the load. This current must be equal the current which written on the nameplate.

Reason of over temperature;

Overload

the deviation on the shaft line

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Stepper motors are usually fairly inefficient and as a result can run surprisingly warm.

Is the stepper motor actually rated at 24VDC? If so, without series resistors? Is it required to run at low speed for extended periods (low speeds produce more loss)?

Perhaps the temperature rise is 'normal'.

Cheers!

BigMax:P

• 1 month later...

If your supply voltage matches the nameplate voltage and your current with no load is greater than motor nameplate, you have a problem. I would run motor across the line and see if amps are still high. You may need to replace the motor and or drive. As far as the heat , typical motor rated at 40deg. C. which can be quite warm to the touch. The ambient temperature and air space around motor can also effect a motors self cooling abillity. Have you used a temp probe to read actual temp?

I must add that this is typical motor troubleshooting. I have no real experience with "stepper" motors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi ,

I dont have much experience on motor but i can have suggestions:

1. check the frequency of your motor..motor of 50 hz if run on 60 hz system will produce more torque which cause increase in your motor speed which will in turn produce more current than its normal rating.More current means more heat.......

2.check the quality of your controller........