Electrolyte Mix Ratio Assistance

CRG

Hi Guys,

I have a 400 hp/ 415Vac wound rotor liquid resister starter problem. We resently recommishioned this drive to turn a horizontal grinding mill after 7 years. My problem is that during starting we have to wind the electrode down almost completely before the drive gives enough torque to drive the load.

To my understanding when the electrode is completely submerged in the electrolyte the drive should be around 75% rpm before shorting out the resistance to bolster speed to synchronous rpm. There is also some sparking around the electrode. Currently we are just using tap water as the electrolyte which I think could be the problem. I have resently got some sodium carbonate and am unsure of the mix ratio.

Have any one came across this complication and could help me out here?

• 3 months later...
Hi Guys,

I have a 400 hp/ 415Vac wound rotor liquid resister starter problem. We resently recommishioned this drive to turn a horizontal grinding mill after 7 years. My problem is that during starting we have to wind the electrode down almost completely before the drive gives enough torque to drive the load.

To my understanding when the electrode is completely submerged in the electrolyte the drive should be around 75% rpm before shorting out the resistance to bolster speed to synchronous rpm. There is also some sparking around the electrode. Currently we are just using tap water as the electrolyte which I think could be the problem. I have resently got some sodium carbonate and am unsure of the mix ratio.

Have any one came across this complication and could help me out here?

drop me an email simonturfrey@aol.com and i will be able to help