Capacitor Reactor In Circuit

Kindly let me have your reply whether a Capacitor + Reactor can be in circuit when the DG supply in use ?

My Second question is that when the Capacitor + Reactor is in circuit when the DG supply is in use

1. Whether the Alternator will experience any problem.

2. Whether any other Electronic Components in the machines will encounter problem.

I have come across a problem with the failure of the above components when the EB supply is being restored back from DG.

Could you please explain and offer your suggestion to overcome this problem.

Thanks & Regards

Srinath.

• 2 weeks later...
Kindly let me have your reply whether a Capacitor + Reactor can be in circuit when the DG supply in use ?

My Second question is that when the Capacitor + Reactor is in circuit when the DG supply is in use

1. Whether the Alternator will experience any problem.

2. Whether any other Electronic Components in the machines will encounter problem.

I have come across a problem with the failure of the above components when the EB supply is being restored back from DG.

Could you please explain and offer your suggestion to overcome this problem.

Thanks & Regards

Srinath.

Srinath,

I would believe that the reason you have not had any replies to your posting is ...... because no one knows what you are talking about.

You have used terms that while they may be familiar to you.... are not universal in scope.

For example, DG supply ..... I have no idea what a DG supply is.

EB supply ? .... I have no idea what an EB supply is.

Capacitor + Reactor ..... those are the individual names of electrical components. But you do not describe how they are configure.....or how they are connected, and to what.

Take a few moments and consider that we cannot see what you are talking about and so, you must be very descriptive in your statements so that we can have a chance at picturing what it is your are involved with. Be as complete as you can in supplying detail for us to understand.

Kind regards,

Hello Srinath

I assume that DG refers to a diesel generator.

Adding capacitance to the output of a generator plant should not cause any problems provided that a) there is load on the output of the alternator and B) the power factor does not go very capacitive.

Ideally, the power factor will be kept around 0.95 inductive.

If the power factor goes less than 0.9 cpacitive, there will probably be problems with the stability of the AVR and so the voltage level can become unregulated.

If the load on the alternator is light, adding capacitance and cause resonance between the alternator/load inductance and the power factor correction capacitance.

Inductance is often added in series with the power factor correction capacitance as a means of reducing harmonic currents through the capacitor. This is referred toas a detuning reactor and must be matched to the capacitor.

Provided that the detuning reactor is correctly matched to the capacitor, there should be no effect on the dg.

Best regards,

Mark