How To Run 400 V (50 Hz) Motor With 440 V (60 Hz) Power Supplied?

one79

Dear everyone. I need advice, I do not know much about electricity.

I have a pump with 400 V (50 Hz) motor. I want to use it on a vessel with 440 V (60 Hz) power supplied. What should I do? I know that I have to get a step down transformer and frequency converter to adjust the power supplied on board of the vessel to suits the pump's motor. Now the problem is, I do not know what equipment to buy. Can I just get an inverter? Are there any inverters that can step-down voltage as well as reduce frequency at the same time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You need 8V/HZ ratio for your application and available ratio is 7.33V/HZ. The best option is to install an inverter drive and program its V/HZ ratio according to your application which is quite easy. But during purchasing of inverter, make it sure that it would be designed for 440V.

"Don't assume any thing, always check/ask and clear yourself".

The spped of an induction motor is determined by the frequency of the supply.

If you take a pump designed to operate on 50Hz and run it on 60Hz, the speed is 20% higher. The power used by the pump is considerably higher and would certainly overload the motor.

You would nned to either increase the motor size considerably, or change the pump impellor.

The simplest solution is to use a VFD to set the frequency and voltage to 50Hz and 400V.

Best regards,

Mark.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I think is better that you buy a Static Frequency Converter or Variable Speed Drive (both is same), in those equipments you can adjust the frequency and the voltage as you want same as your motor, because those have two step, first those convert AC to DC and then invert DC to AC, in these changes could adjust voltage and frequency as you want.

• 2 years later...