2 replies to this topic

#1 staby

staby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

Hello my friends:

Not shure if is a crazy idea to start one phase induction motors with an autotransformer with taps selected by Triacs in zero cross mode, to avoid the over current generated each time we interrupt the supply to a runing motor.
Somebody has an oppinion about this?;f;
Regards

#2 marke

marke

Posting Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:19 PM

Hello staby

Welcome to the forum
Yes, you could use an autotransformer with taps and triacs zero crossing switching to select the taps, but you would need to be very sure that it was not possible for one triac to switch on while there was still a tail current from another. I would suggest that you would be better to use reverse parallel connected SCRs as there is a definite transition between the SCRs when you pass through zero voltage and a much lower risk of two devices being on at the same time.

Best regards,

#3 staby

staby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

Originally posted by marke
Hello staby

Welcome to the forum
Yes, you could use an autotransformer with taps and triacs zero crossing switching to select the taps, but you would need to be very sure that it was not possible for one triac to switch on while there was still a tail current from another. I would suggest that you would be better to use reverse parallel connected SCRs as there is a definite transition between the SCRs when you pass through zero voltage and a much lower risk of two devices being on at the same time.

Best regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users